The following steps and resources will help you begin using LockDown Browser.
Installing LockDown Browser
Provide your students the installation link for LockDown Browser (this link is unique for each institution). If you don’t have the URL for this page, contact your institution’s LMS administrator or submit a ticket at support.respondus.com.
Turn on the LockDown Browser setting
It’s easy to require LockDown Browser for an exam, but the process differs for each learning system. The Instructor Quick Start Guide will walk you through the steps.
Information to add to your syllabus
The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won’t be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won’t be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don’t have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials – books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Why a practice exam is important
Ensure your first exam using LockDown browser runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser, before the graded exam occurs.
Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer.